The AHS Student Equity Association hosted a Panel Discussion on January 28, 2021. ACSD community members submitted several questions for the panelists. The 10 questions below were the final 10 questions selected for discussion. Enjoy!
Click Panel Discussion to view.
· What’s the purpose of equity in schools?
· In your view what is the most misunderstood principle of equity? And can you also speak about the role that privilege plays in equity?
· Would you agree that everyone and no one owns the work of equity? Why or why not?
· What is the most important work schools should currently be engaging in to address inequities?
· What do you think is the biggest challenge toward enacting equitable change?
· How are stereotypes created? What role does bias play in creating stereotypes? And can you also speak to the differences between implicit and explicit bias?
· How can we best understand microaggressions? How do we stop them?
· What are some of the mental health impacts of stereotyping, microaggressions, bias?
· What is the role of poverty in creating and perpetuating inequity?
· What are the first steps someone can take toward the work of equity? 10 years from now, what would signify equitable change?