Board Appoints Dr. David Moyer as Arlington's Next Superintendent
On Thursday, January 14, the Board of Education appointed Dr. David Moyer as Arlington’s next Superintendent of Schools. Dr. Moyer comes to Arlington with eleven years as a school superintendent and 23 years as a school administrator. For the past 6 years, Dr. Moyer has been the superintendent of Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205. This district in Elmhurst, Illinois, is similar in size to Arlington with 13 schools and more than 8,500 students.
In his application, Dr. Moyer stated: “I believe that children are more than a test score. They have a name and a face.” In 2019 the Illinois Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development recognized these beliefs and named Elmhurst as the 2019 Exemplary District in the State of Illinois as the Overall Whole Child Award Winner for District excellence in providing healthy, safe, supportive, and engaged learning environments.
In 2015, Dr. Moyer was recognized as an Illinois Superintendent of Distinction. He believes that external and internal communication is essential for success for any superintendent. A former Board president described Dr. Moyer as highly motivated and always focused on his efforts to add value and quality to the daily business of schools and to the essential role of education: teaching and learning.
In accepting the position of the Arlington Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Moyer stated: "I could not feel more fortunate to be selected as the next superintendent for the Arlington Central School District. My family and I are appreciative of the opportunity and the trust the Board has shown in me. People are obviously proud of their schools, and the sense of community has been obvious from the outset. This is the perfect professional and personal opportunity for me at the perfect time. Everyone has gone out of their way to make me feel welcome, and I am very hopeful that a trip out there to meet people in person will be possible in the very near future. I'm a lucky guy."
In addition to the above, Dr. Moyer brings the following experience to Arlington:
- Worked with teachers and administrators to remove barriers that inhibit students’ ability to access upper level coursework
- In 2018/2019 District 205 was selected to participate in the American Association for School Administrators and Successful Practices Network’s Innovation and Transformational Leadership Network and Harvard University’s Scaling for Impact Program
- Implemented innovative programming, such as a Business Incubator program at York High School
- District 205 received the highest level of Financial Recognition by the State of Illinois for five consecutive years
- Presented at multiple prominent State and National Education Conferences on innovation and change leadership
- Former college baseball coach: 1998 Lake Michigan Conference Coach of the Year, 1997 and 1991 Wisconsin State League Manager of the Year, inducted into the Sheboygan A's Baseball Hall of Fame in 2015
After conducting a national search, Dr. Moyer was selected from a pool of more than 40 applicants after a rigorous interview process. We look forward to welcoming Dr. David Moyer to Arlington, where he will begin as our new superintendent of schools on July 1. We will keep our school community informed about opportunities this spring to meet Dr. Moyer either in-person or virtually.