Resources for Families
Dutchess County Updates.
NYS PTA Resources for Families (includes NYS education and school opening information)
New York State Covid-19 Emotional Support Helpline.
1-844-863-9314. 8-10pm, 7 days a week.
National Association of School Psychologists
Goats and Soda Coping for Kids Comic.
- Family Services Rape Crisis and Crime Victims Hotline: 845-452-7272
- Family Services Domestic Violence Hotline: 845-485-5550
- Dutchess County Mental Health Crisis Helpline: 845-485-9700
- Ulster County Crisis Intervention: 845-338-2370
- Orange County Crisis Intervention: 1-888-750-2266
Shelter, Housing, Rent, and Utility Payment Support
House of Faith Ministry, Inc. 845-765-0293
- Emergency Shelter
Grace Smith House. 845-471-3038. https://www.gracesmithhouse.org/
- Domestic violence shelter
House of Hope. 845-765-0294. https://www.hudsonvalleyhouseofhope.org/
- Domestic violence shelter
Hudson River Housing. https://hudsonriverhousing.org/
- General questions about homelessness services – Call Nikole at 845-905-6138
- Webster House & Mental Health America’s Living Room – Emergency Overnight Shelter and Daytime Shelter Program at 150 North Hamilton Street, Poughkeepsie NY 12601, 845-473-5166
- After Hours Emergency Placement Telephone Line: 845-471-8454, Nikole at email@example.com
- Emergency Response Fund: 845-337-4407 x105 Funds paid directly to landlord or utility companies. Apply online or download application and drop off at 313 Mill Street Poughkeepsie, NY 12601. Place in the back door mail slot or mail to Hudson River Housing, Care of Robin Dilio 313 Main Street Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
- Many additional resources to support families and businesses in the community. Look under “Our COVID-19 Response.”
Dutchess Outreach. 845-454-3792. www.dutchessoutreach.org
- Emergency assistance with rent and utilities.
- Children’s clothing closet/coats
Neighborworks Homeownership Center. 845-276-9288
- Foreclosure intervention counseling services, call Lashonda at 845-276-3689 or email Ldenson@hudsonriverhousing.org.
- General financial counseling services. Leave a message for Leona at 845-454-9288 ext 603 or email Lconnell@hudsonriverhousing.org
Catholic Charities. 845-452-1400
- Emergency assistance with rent and utilities.
Good Neighbor Fund. 845-471-1210
- Emergency assistance with Central Hudson utility payment.
Dutchess County Community Action Partnership. 845-452-5104
- Help with bills, referrals for additional resources, including prescription help.
Food Pantries and Meal Programs
Dutchess Outreach - Lunch Box Community Meal Program. 29 North Hamilton St, (in the back of the FPC), Poughkeepsie. (845) 454-3792.
- Hours of operation: Lunch to go only Monday – Friday, 11:15 am – 1:00 pm and Sundays 12 pm – 1:00 pm. Dinner to go Monday – Friday, 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
Dutchess Outreach - Beverly Closs Food Pantry. 29 North Hamilton St, Suite 220, Poughkeepsie. (845) 454-3792.
- Hours of operation: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:30 am -11:00 am. Closed Wednesday. Eligibility Restrictions: Must bring proof of address, ID for yourself and all dependents. Can only come once every 30 days.
Pleasant Valley Ecumenical Food Pantry. 92 Martin Rd, Pleasant Valley. (845) 635-3022.
- Hours of operation: Wednesday 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm Eligibility Restrictions: Must live in PV or Arlington School District; can come once per month
Love Reaches Out Food Pantry. 1138 Route 55, LaGrangeville. (845) 452-4673.
- Hours of operation: Wednesday 10 am – 2 pm Eligibility: Bring photo ID
Trinity United Methodist Church Food Pantry. 6 S. Cross Rd, LaGrangeville.
- Hours of operation: Last Thursday of every month 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, for emergency food supplies, call to make arrangements Eligibility: Must bring ID for each member of household
Beth-El Church of God in Christ - Harvest Community Outreach Food Pantry. 91 Hooker Ave, Poughkeepsie. (845) 452-2890.
- For emergencies.
- Hours of operation: second and fourth Sunday of each month, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm rear entrance of Church Eligibility Restrictions: Must bring ID for yourself and family members on first visit.
Beulah Baptist Church Food Pantry and Meal Program. 92 Catherine St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 473-1662.
- Hours of operation: Food pantry is open Monday 6:30- 7:30 pm. To go meals are available on Saturdays from 11:30 am -12:30 pm.
Dutchess County Community Action of Poughkeepsie Food Pantry. 77 Canon St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 452-5104.
- Hours of operation: call to make an appointment Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (closed 12- 1 pm). Eligibility Restrictions: Must bring proof of address and I.D. for self and dependents
Ebenezer Baptist Church Food Pantry. 15 Smith St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 219-3180.
- Hours of operation: 2nd and 3rd Saturday 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
John Flowers Community Events: Feeding Families in a Time of Need Meal Program. 110 Main St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 224-8598 (call between 10am and 3pm).
- Hours of operation: Varies – Call First God’s Helping Hands (Food Pantry) 120 Hudson Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 (in the gym) (845) 471-7976. Hours of operation: 1st & 2nd Tuesday 11:00 pm – 12:30 pm, 3rd & 4th Tuesday 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm.
Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church Food Pantry. 775 Main St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 452-1863.
- Hours of operation: Wednesday 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Hudson River Lodging Food Pantry. 391 Manchester Rd, Poughkeepsie. (845) 452-0019.
- Hours of operation: call ahead to make an appointment with Robin or Ritu, Monday through Friday 9:00 am -5:00 pm. Only non-perishables available
God’s Helping Hands Food Pantry. 120 Hudson Ave, Poughkeepsie (in the gym). (845) 471-7976.
- Hours of operation: 1st & 2nd Tuesday 11:00 pm – 12:30 pm, 3rd & 4th Tuesday 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Salvation Army Food Pantry and Meal Program. 19 Pershing Ave, Poughkeepsie. (845) 471-1210, contact Jackie.
- Food Pantry hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm by appointment only. Eligibility Restrictions: Must bring photo ID, proof of income, proof of address, can come once every 60 days.
- Meal Program hours of operation: Breakfast - Monday through Friday 8:30 -9:30 am; Lunch - Monday, Wednesday, Friday 12:00 – 1:00 pm. Curbside pickup
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church Food Pantry. 55 Wilbur Blvd, Poughkeepsie. (845) 452-1550.
- Hours of operation: 1st, 3rd, & 5th Sunday 9:00 am – 11:00 am
St. Paul’s Poughkeepsie Food Pantry. 161 Mansion St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 452-8440.
- Hours of operation: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm Eligibility Restrictions: Families are eligible once per month
Trinity Temple Church Meal Program. 16 N Bridge St, Poughkeepsie. (845) 471-5815.
- Hours of operation: Wednesday 1:00 pm.
St. Mary’s Church Food Pantry. 11 Clinton St, Wappingers Falls. (845) 297-6261.
- Hours of operation: Thursday 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, Take out bags will be placed on stairs outside of building. Eligibility Restrictions: Must be a resident of Wappingers Falls or the Town of Poughkeepsie with proof of address and ID.
No Strings Attached/The Vineyard Food Pantry. 609 Route 82, Hopewell Junction. (845) 227-7832. Call in advance for availability.
- Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. After hours please leave a message.
St. Columba Food Pantry. 835 Route 82, Hopewell Junction. (845) 227-7863.
- Hours of operation: Call to make an appointment.
Safe Haven Pet Food Pantry. 1545 Route 52, Fishkill. (845) 392-5300.
- Food for pets, not people. Hours of operation: Saturday 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Eligibility restrictions: Must bring ID showing residency in Dutchess County.
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley. https://lshv.org/
- Serving low-income or newly unemployed residents of Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Ulster, Sullivan, Orange and Rockland Counties
- 1-877-574-8529 Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Fridays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Local office: One Civic Center Plaza Suite 506 Poughkeepsie, New York 12601 845-471-0058 ext 400 or 428
- Offers free legal services in cancer health advocacy, children’s advocacy, disability advocacy, domestic violence, elder law, LGBTQ advocacy, HIV/AIDS, housing, public benefits, veterans/military families, bankruptcy, consumer debt, divorce, unemployment, and wills.
Catholic Charities Immigrant and Refugee Services. https://catholiccharitiesny.org/what-we-do/welcoming-integrating-immigrants-refugees
- Providing immigration application assistance, work authorization, English classes, and many other services for immigrants and refugees in the lower Hudson Valley.
- Runs New Americans Hotline, providing confidential and accurate answers about immigration-related questions. 1-800-566-7636.
Mental Health, Child Physical and Mental Health, and Substance Use Services
Dutchess County HELPLINE.
- 24/7 Crisis Services: call or text 845-485-9700 or call 877-485-9700.
MARC – CDCC Addiction Treatment Center. 51 Cannon St, Poughkeepsie. 845-471-0310.
Dutchess County Stabilization Center. 230 North Road, Poughkeepsie NY.
- If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health or substance use crisis, you can get support here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Astor Services for Families and Children. 845-871-1000. https://www.astorservices.org/.
- Astor provides an immense range of services for children of all ages and their families, ranging from head start to crisis intervention to probation support services to individual and family therapy. Multiple locations in the Hudson Valley.
Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs NYS Program.
- Support and services for children with special health care needs: physical, mental, or behavioral.
New York State Multiple Systems Navigator. https://www.msnavigator.org/
- Tool to help families navigate multiple supports and services.
Internet and Technology Assistance
Altice Advantage (through Optimum). Covid-19 internet access offer for families with K-12 children and college students at home. 1-866-200-9522. www.alticeadvantageinternet.com/. Additional eligibility requirements may apply.
Spectrum. Covid-19 internet access offer for families with K-12 children and college students at home. 855-243-8892. Eligibility requirements may apply. New customers only.
Lifeline Assistance Program through Assurance Wireless (“The Obama Phone”). https://www.assurancewireless.com/. Eligibility based on household income and/or public assistance program participation. Free cell phone, monthly service, and 250 minutes.
PC’s for People. Low-cost internet access, professionally refurbished laptop and desktop computers. 651-354-2552. Phone support open 11am-6:30pm Monday-Friday. See https://www.pcsforpeople.org/eligibility/ for internet access eligibility requirements.See https://pcsrefurbished.com/sales/salesHome.aspx for refurbished computers.
The list above is pretty comprehensive (thank you, Mrs. Vandermark!). But just in case, here are links to additional resource lists in case you didn’t find what you need here.
Helping Our Families Guide
Vassar College Office of Community-Engaged Learning